If you are selling food from home or starting an online ecommerce food business maybe selling food on shopify or Weebly you NEED TO BE INCORPORATED!
Here is a few tips why and how and click on your state to check if your Business name is avaialble.
What to Remember When Choosing Your Company Name
One of the most important aspects of your business is its name. You may already have a name in mind, but you should see if it’s available first!
The most common reason a proposed company name is rejected is because it’s either identical or very similar to an entity name that has already been registered with your State. To the right is a company name searching tool you can use to see if the name you want to use is available in your State. Here are a few things to keep in mind when determining whether your company name is too similar to another existing entity:
- Spacing and punctuation does not make one word different from another (ex. AGX, A G X and A.G.X. are all the same).
- "And" and "&" are considered the same.
- The plural or possessive version of a word is considered the same as the singular version (ex. "Systems" and "System" and “System’s” are the same).
- "Four" and "4" and "IV" are considered the same.
- Abbreviations are the same as a full word (ex. "Brothers" is the same as "Bros.")
- “The”, “A”, and “An” do not alone make one word different from another (ex. “The Kitchen” and “A Kitchen” and “Kitchen” are all considered the same).
- The entity suffix at the end of your company name does not make it different from other names (ex. “Business Enterprises, Inc.” is the same as “Business Enterprises, LLC”)
The entity naming rules are complicated, and even if the above guidelines are followed your company name may be rejected.
But don’t worry, the name search tool on this page will help. When you provide us with your company information, you can also provide two alternative names that you’re willing to use for your company. That way you’re covered if your first name is taken.
Please Note: If your company name is rejected by the Secretary of State, it may take us a few more days to complete your company formation with one of the alternative names you provided. If all of your company names are rejected, we’ll get back to you right away and help you select another one!
GET YOUR llc for your food business started in under 10 minutes! with better legal!
CHECK YOUR STATE FOR A BUSINESS NAME AVAILABILITY:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia